Monday, May 8, 2006

David Beamer Got It Right

The father of Todd Beamer, one of the first to fight back on September 11th, 2001 wrote an excellent piece in the Wall Street Journal last week. I had the chance to see United 93 over the weekend and what I realized is that I harbor a real and visceral hatred for those who perpetrated 9/11 on America.

Seeing planes impact the World Trade Center towers in the early part of the film evoked a deep emotional response that I hadn't expected since I have seen the footage many times since. The rage I experienced when seeing those images again coupled with the emotions of those who were experiencing it as it happened that terrible day was difficult to watch. You can see the disbelief in their face. You can see the stunned look that something is terribly wrong. The other sense I got then and again while watching the movie was that someone has a hatred so vast that they would fly planes into buildings in order to injure America's psyche.

What David Beamer writes about how this director and cast really got it right and I cannot disagree in the least. He goes on to talk about the "blessed opportunity" that they had to fight back and not allow these terrorists' will be carried out. These people were exactly what is great about America. The selfless, determined and aggressive nature in which they took on these vermin is absolutely compelling and inspiring.

DunnerMeister